As I was unloading the dishwasher tonight, I started thinking about some of the things my parents used to try to teach me when I was growing up (note the word “try”) – and how so many of them turned out to be true! I tend to be very random anyway, so it is no surprise that these “life lessons” would appear out of nowhere.
I’m sure I will try to instill some of the same principals in my girls, and they too will go unrecognized until the year 2027. My dad has been dead for almost 9 years now, and I can still hear him telling me some of these things.
- Nerds make good husbands.
- always say yes to the first guy that asks you (even if you don’t like him)
- kill ‘em with kindness.
- If you hang with dogs, you get fleas.
- say your prayers each night
- if you drink a lot of alcohol you’ll get big
- Be nice to you sister, one day you will be best friends.
- the grass is always greener on the other side
- Turn the other cheek
- It”s guilt by association
- credit card debt is the root of all evil
- Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’
- Be a friend to everyone.
- Death is part of life (ironically, my father died a few years after telling me this)
- Spend quality time with your mom/dad, one day you will be glad you did.
- Any my personal favorite.. if you have sex you’re gonna get pregnant.