Easter Sunday

” He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. “
Matthew 28:6
The weather could not have been better this weekend. low humidity, blue skies, sunshine- and we have made the most of this celebratory time with trips to the beach, church, bunny shaped candy, family dinners{/Master’s party}, Polaris rides and more family time.
I had intended to post some of the photos of the various easter egg hunts from the weekend, along with some cute ones of my little Allie Boone, but I got side tracked when I started thinking about church this morning.
Easter skirts– Notting Hill pattern by Pink Fig. Fabric from my new favorite store.. Hobby Lobby.
I have to admit, it was kind of cool this morning trying to squeeze in the church row to get a seat with my family. Ten years ago, it was Mike and I attending church by ourselves. We had made the decision to move over from the church I had grown up at (note the word I) in exchange for a church we would attend together.
In fact, my University of Alabama roommate, Hope, gave me some of the best advice. I was on the phone with her one evening, complaining that Mike wasn’t crazy about my church, and often times I went by myself. She said to me, “Garrett, it is more important that you go to church together,than it is for your to go to your church.”
Lightbulb moment.
So true. Such a wise gal that Hope.
So after 26 years, I somewhat relucantly left my beautiful {and comfortable} Episcopal church downtown and Mike and I went ‘church shopping’. Yes, church shopping. The first church we visited was a pretty Methodist church, two blocks over because, well… the interior was a pretty shade of blue. 
I also decided that I wasn’t going to beg Mike to go to church with me anymore. If he wanted to come, he knew he was more than welcome to go with me. And once I made that decision, the boy is showered and ready to go 99% of the time. And the other 1% of the time when he doesn’t go {because none of us attend every Sunday}, that’s okay. I know that he is not  at church because his wife ‘dragged’ him there, but rather because he wants to be there.
We both knew that was the church for us– newly married, no children, and looking for a new church home.
Ten years later, all three of our babies have been baptized here,we have become more involved than we ever were in the first years of our marriage, met wonderful friends, and within the past eighteen months…

Mom and Dale started attending as well- and have become members, active members. Then Sara Britton and Matt were showing up on Sundays, and then my cousin and his family. And today, we smack ran out of room on our pew with Aunts, cousins, sisters, children and parents at church.  It’s pretty cool to see God working, slowly and surely, in other people’s lives.
 “Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
- Matthew 28:16-20
FacebookTwitterGoogle+EmailShare

Lovely comments

  1. 1

    noreply@blogger.com' says

    Sorry to be a comment hog tonight (catching up on my reading), but you could have written this post for me. We are thrilled to have finally, and just recently, found a fabulous church TOGETHER – one that we both equally enjoy and look forward to attending together. It’s such a great feeling, and I feel so blessed that our whole little family looks forward to Sunday mornings now…and Easter Sunday was just the icing on the cake.