Viewing category: Lessons I’m Learning

The 5 Love Languages

The 5 Love Languages

Everyone has a love language, just ask author Gary Chapman. Mine is ‘Acts of Service’ hands down. Just ask Mr. Robinson. And this, my friends, is true love. Twice the love to be exact.  Acts of Service: Don’t tell me you love me– take out the trash. It comes as no surprise then, that children also have their love language. This is how we receive love. I think every parent should read this book (which is a quick read!) as it was enlightening for me, Each of our children have a different language- I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised. And it makes sense actually.

Britton is ‘Gifts.’  As a child she would make teacher gifts, friends gifts and still today, as a 13 year old, a lot of forethought is given to Christmas gifts for friends and siblings. Mr. R- she already has your Christmas gift picked out! And yes, you will love it!

Kenley’s is ‘Quality Time’ and I can almost see her love tank filling up when she and I get some one-on-one time together. Even if it is to a doctor’s appointment, or kissing her goodnight at bedtime. It’s what she needs.

Raynes may be too early to tell, but if I were a betting woman I would say ‘Quality Time’ is his– I think this gift stuff is a typical Preschool phase “Can I have that? Will you buy me that?”

Mr. Robinson is pretty easy– ‘Words of Affirmation.’  I love you. I’m proud of you. We appreciate what you do. Simple, easy and yet I feel I often manage to fall short in this area with the hustle and bustle of every day life.   Instead opting to go to the dry cleaner for him, taking some of his to-do items off his list, making the bed in the morning. This is me showing him I love him- through Acts of Service which I equate with love. In actuality, he could care less about taking the garbage out (well, let’s hope he cares somewhat about it) and more about knowing that I think he is measuring up, so to speak. Speaking different languages can be an easy and conscious daily tweak. Mr. R– if you are reading this… I love you. I am proud of you. And we appreciate you more than you may ever know.

So there you have it: Acts of Service, Words of Affirmation, Physical  Touch, Gifts, and Quality Time.

img_0279

 

at the car wash

FacebookTwitterGoogle+EmailShare

Hermine Havoc

Hermine Havoc

Hermione came, he saw, and he went. Leaving us a with a tumbled mess of trees, live wires, utility poles and an all around big ol’ mess.

Thursday evening, after the preparations were made we were ready for the storm.  Glued to The Weather Channel, who had news crews reporting live at our nearby Coast, we were bracing for the storm. As soon as we got the first gust of wind, there a  few flickers, then everything went black. Literally. The television quit feeding us information, the lights went off, and it a sudden eerie silence fell over the home. We had flashlights and candles with us in the family room, where we had already determined we would all sleep together. There was one thing, however, that I had not prepared for. A cell phone that didn’t work. How was I suppose to get weather updates?

Thank goodness for Meme who still listens to her AM/FM radio every night (and has for 90 years). She had no less than 15 radios stored in a cabinet. While I assumed we would lose power, I didn’t think we would go without for days on end. So much for my 2 bags I thought made me ‘super prepared.’  Mom and Dale had the foresight to have a built-in generator as they were building their house- which meant they became a youth hostile to many! With the only home with AC (it is summer in Florida), light and a place to charge our phone, it was like checking into the Ritz. We were lucky in that our power was restored on day 4, when channel 24 The Weather Channel reappeared on the screen where they were still talking about Hermine.

 

Many are still without power today- including my sister and co-workers – going on 105+ hours. Our city leaders are discussing and may, or may not be, working together to get power restored as quickly as possible which is a good thing since the temperatures the next few days will reach 92 degrees. Never again we will take a Cat 1 hurricane nonchalantly.

 

IMG_0061

Raynes isn’t quite sure what to think when he woke up on a windy and wet post-hurricane morning.

IMG_0051

The hmm of generators could be heard all over the neighborhood, and seen all over town locked to traffic signal poles. And yes, those limbs in the background were the extent of our ‘damage’– we were very fortunate.

 

 

How am I spending my time?

Little Beethoven had a violin concert last weekend.

20000101-IMG_4163-2

 

The End.

 

This was going to be all I was going to write for these few photos. Why? Because there was no time to write anything else. And therein lies the problem. I never seem to have time for anything. Ever. But why is that? How am I spending my time? Is it on what really matters? Time is our most precious commodity.

I was thinking about this very thing, and carrying  typical mom and wife guilt, when I stumbled upon a sermon on YouTube (of all places) that said  (and of course I am paraphrasing because no time to cross reference) essentially… we spend 80% of our time doing meaningless, grind-type, going through the motions type work. The remaining 20% is spent on doing things that bring us energy, allow us to be creative, and drive our passion.

What would life be like if we could flip flop this and spend 80% of our time doing things that bring us joy, tap into our creative side, and the other 20% going through the motions with the meaningless motions.  Makes you wonder, right. Oh, how life would be so different. I am not quite sure how to achieve this because,.. you guessed it… it was late and no time left to finish watching (that and it then prompted me to subscribe to the YouTube channel to continue watching).

One of the things I can do to, at the very least, put me on the right path, is learn to say no. On occasion. Let’s start there. Learning to say no– on occasion.

I’d love to help but I am over-committed already.

As much as she would like to be there, our family already has plans that day.

It sounds like it’s going to be so much fun, I am sorry we will have to miss it.

Sorry, but I won’t be able to make it.

 

That wasn’t nearly as hard as I had imagined. If only I could stop saying it in front of the mirror and try saying it in real life.

20000101-IMG_4160-2

We raced to sweet Kenley’s first Winter Orchestra concert- after a tennis match but before an evening work event.

 

As I often have to remind myself, this too shall pass. This running around, never having quite enough time, always feel like a ball is dropping-business. It will, it will, if I think it enough it will.
For now? For now I’ll keep on trying to squeeze a little blog post here and there. Even if the thoughts aren’t cohesive and my spelling sucks.

 

I’ll keep setting reminders on my iPhone to fill prescriptions, load money in kid’s lunch accounts, and buy my cousin a baby gift.

I’ll keep pushing the envelop to see how late I can stay up, and how early I can rise, and still get everything done without getting so tired I can’t function.

20000101-IMG_4203-2

This one had no trouble slowing down to sit quietly, still and listen intently to the music.

 

20000101-IMG_4205-2

 

For now? I’ll slow my pace down, re-evaluate how I spend my time, and make sure I’m focusing on the people that mean the most to me. All of whom are under my roof with me at this very moment.

When life gives you lemons

When life gives you lemons…. or in our case, when the temperature is falling to 29 and life forces you to gather all your lemons, what to do? By golly, make some lemonade! I’ve received great suggestions from ice cubes, lemon cakes to lemon martinis! Who knew that this little fruit was so versatile.  For several years now I’ve tried, unsuccessfully, at our previous home to grow healthy lemons from our little Meyers tree. Finally, after inheriting this 13 year old Meyers tree we finally got us some lemons.  About 50 to be exact. A good life lesson…. when you suddenly have something that you weren’t expecting, find a way to make good use of it. Make you some lemonade! And so we shall (once it warms up just a tad)…

 

20160118-IMG_5082

 

20160118-IMG_5080

Christmases Past

Christmases Past

Decorating for the holidays in a just-getting-settled home forces me to tweak things a little, finding new places for old treasures. Inside one of the boxes– an old Pinterest project, made from our previous family Christmas cards, that once hung across our kitchen window. Where to put it now? Initially, I just left it in the plastic storage box, because quite frankly, Christmas can too easily become overwhelming. And that’s sad- because Christmas is about the exact opposite of complicated. It’s simple. It’s not glitzy, or flashing or laser lit. So by golly, the Jesse tree is going to have a place- a place to remind us of the scriptures leading up to Advent. As is the nativity scene that never seems to have a table without being in arms-length of a little boy and the family cards that would have been much easier to leave in the box. They’re now hung on the tree- reminding us of our little family and how fleeting the time is. So I am going to make the time, the space, and the purpose.

2010

2010

2011

2011

2011

2011

2011

2011

20121125-IMG_5062

2012. IS it me or does his hair look like Donald Trump?

 

20121125-IMG_5018

 

2013

2013

 

2013 - Mother Daughter Tea

2013 – Mother Daughter Tea

 

2013

2013

 

20131213-IMG_0667

2014

2014

 

 

2015

2015